Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Principles of Music


Okay, so this painting took two days, instead of one. My days are a little shorter once school starts, and sometimes things need drying time. But you'll forgive me.

This painting started out with very little plan. Only some pieces of silk fabric with flowers and horizontal lines. It reminded me of sheets of music and so I collaged some 18th century reproduction musical papers, cut out a heart in chamois, and sprinkled some tobacco and tea here and there. Small bits of abalone shell made up musical notes across the page. I added a cork paper canoe and some muskrat fur to give it a sense of period. Still, it was missing something...

Rummaging around in my collage supply I found a card from a local guitar store, advertising a course of lessons. It consisted of a photo of a guitar with just the center sound hole and some strings and frets. It was the kind of thing you'd find hanging on your front door when you arrive home - there was a space for the doorknob. I attached this ad to the side of the entire piece and placed one of my gel medium cast coins on the hanging hole. So now I had a "pay the piper" idea going. I painted into the center hole of the guitar a woman undressing. Her garter has already been loosened (a broken string?) More coins and a lover's portrait in the center of the heart and the piece was complete.

Play on...

Acrylic paint on paper with silk, leather, fur, cork, abalone shell, tobacco and tea. 27 x 43 cm.

No comments: