Friday, June 5, 2009

The Devil's in the Details


Continuing my sudden, summer love affair with Belle Isle, I have collected an ample supply of broken beach glass from along the Belle Isle river front. Mostly from the Canadian side of the island, where one must interrupt one's collecting expedition pleasantly to wave to passing pleasure boats and freighters. I am using the bits of vari-colored glass to produce crude mosaics, combining the glass and glass beads, semi-precious stones (in this case, tiny garnets from a broken necklace) shells and tiles.

Some of these mosaics I intend to use to make a "call and response" intervention with the secret mosaics I found earlier (See: "Tile Be There", May 11, 2009.) Others I already have installed in my own garden.

Here is a small green devil done mostly in Coke bottle glass, on some sort of micaceous rock...

He is ready to tempt this tender woman, who is innocently enjoying herself in a swing beneath a flowering tree. Bad devil!

Have a nice weekend!

1 comment:

V said...

Technical note: The tesserae are set with polymer-modified thin set mortar. This allows it to endure the elements and last basically forever.