Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I'm Weaving Now


As a snowstorm swirled and raged outside the house last night I finished work produced on my new Colonial Loom, purchased recently from Williamsburg.

A few weeks ago my son came home from art class with a crude cardboard loom on which he was to make some simple basic weaving patterns. Intrigued, I tried my hand at it and found it satisfying.

When I saw the beginner’s loom at Williamsburg, I decided to get it, This one was very basic and fairly small, made by Historical Folk Toys in Indiana, a company which specializes in toys and home craft items which have roots that date back, in some cases, to prehistoric times. You can learn traditional games, Native American crafts, historical dolls, quilting,weaving, spinning or learn to play simple early musical instruments.

The company also provides some historical background for the products they sell. For instance, I learn that I am being quite the rebel when I do my own weaving... Back in Colonial times, it was against British law to weave one's own fabrics, since all colonists were expected to buy their goods already made from England. According to Historical Folk Toys:

"Early American colonists wove with flax and cotton even though weaving was against British law. Unfinished flax and cotton were supposed to be sent to England and the colonists were expected to buy the finished goods, such as fabric, from England. England would not allow their colonists to import sheep or to even have wool! Sheep were eventually brought to America from other countries allowing for the production of wool threads for weaving..."

This weaving is very soft, using acrylic yarn from JoAnn Fabrics in some pretty, seaside colors. It is too bad the beautiful sea-green color didn’t show up. Amd yes, the black band across the top is a color, not just a background. I love black and everything sings off it.

Since I am so new to weaving I am not certain what I will do with this or any pieces I produce in the future. But I am sure something will come to me.

No comments: