Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Face Under the Lilies


I was clearing the edges of the garden in preparation for staining the new fence yesterday. Under the wildly overgrown day lilies I ran across this tiny painting I did a few years ago and which has been out there ever since, in all kinds of weather. The day lilies, which have flourished under my abusive neglect, had completely hidden it.

It was painted onto a smooth piece of limestone which I found buried under the old driveway when I had that removed. It seems that there was some kind of garden patch, or arrangement other than what we see there today. Old aerial photos of the neighborhood show some differences as the area changed and grew.

I like the way things look when they are a bit deteriorated. Mine is the romantic affection for ruins. Worn, faded and chipped and even weed-whacked, this Blue Lady is better than the day I painted her and propped her up against the old fence.

No comments: