Friday, October 3, 2008

Man of Flowers


Basically I did this very fast little painting because I wanted to paint a man, instead of my usual feminine subject matter. It is merely a piece of burned-out velvet silk and two pieces of flowered silk. The profile of the man was suggested by the accidental cut edge of the burned-out velvet scrap, and it reminded me of one of those massive Easter Island sculptures. I painted gold metallic paint into the silken part of the fabric and let the velvet pattern stand.

Years ago there was an Australian film called, "Man of Flowers" (dir: Paul Cox, 1983) about an elderly man who pursues aesthetic and sexual (the two are equated in the film) satisfaction from three things; art, flowers, and the nude female form. He is considered eccentric, lonely, and in need of psychiatric help, until he proves that in fact he is more a whole person than most men.

Acrylic paint on silk and paper. 20 x 27 cm.

No comments: