Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Painting in Progress

I don't normally show pictures of paintings in progress, mostly because I get too busy to take photos. But I thought you might find this interesting.

This is the full sized painting with background laid out and painted in. I made a sort of "print" of the nude body of my friend on silky fabric. It looks like a female Shroud of Turin. I glued down the fabric to the 48 x 72" canvas (1.22 x 1.82 for my international friends), along with a lacy skull from an old t-shirt turned inside out to see only the outline of the skull, then began to paint in the details.

The more detailed face with the skull stitchery showing through the paint...

The canvas is now laid out on a table where I will glue on sand and broken shell pieces. I will also glue down gel medium molds of certain nautical objects - the flotsam and jetsam of a shipwreck or a beach after a storm.

A sextant, the mold taken from a sextant, and the result in dried gel medium.

A piece of coiled rope ready to glue onto the painting.

More later...

No comments: