Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gel-Filled Molds - Yummy!


I found this replica brass sextant in the gift shop at the Mariners Museum in Newport News and right away could see its potential in regard to new paintings. I shall draw from it and make gel-medium-filled molds which I will apply to my artwork.
This sextant actually does function in a crude way. It would need a lot of adjustments- I could not get the lamp I was focusing on to quite sweep my "horizon" (the window sill.) But I have finally understood how it works, which is already something.


Here is the mold I made from the sextant. It is rough, but I want that fragmentary look.


These are gel medium filled molds of various objects. Once made the molds last for years and I can use them over and over again. They look a little like cookies on a baking sheet, but they don't taste nearly as good.

Now, you can wait for the results!

No comments: