Friday, February 25, 2011

The Impossibility of Blue Roses


A woman studies her charts, making ready to set sail once again. She will search the world for impossible blue roses. Her ship embarks from the compass of her heart. The winds are favorable...

After a journey of many days? weeks? months? years? she sights a sliver of land on the horizon. An island! Perhaps the elusive roses grow there. But the winds strengthen into a hurricane, as perfectly spiraled as a nautilus...

... and she is blown off course, all her beautiful navigational instruments and the treasures she has gathered lost to the roiling sea.

Meanwhile, the roses gently nod and sway their full, heavy heads on her garden island, spreading their fragrance far and wide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I truly am moved. My husband died 3 weeks ago, today. He told me to "believe in the impossible". Blue roses. I want to own this picture so I can look at it all the time and draw strength. I love you for making it.

V said...

Dearest Anonymous:

I am so very sorry for your loss. But your husband was right; we should indeed believe in the impossible. There are things outside our human perception which are both marvelous and terrifying, and through which we must chart our course trustingly. Completely trustingly and also lovingly. Deep in our souls we already know the way.

I am honored that you draw strength from my painting and I wish you the vision you need through the heavy seas you must traverse for now. You will find your blue roses again, one day. I promise.